Friday, January 7, 2011

Harvest 2U

This week I finally joined a local co-op called Harvest2U. They are a cooperative of local farmers that grow organic produce and provide it to our community. Best of all, they give back. They give 25% of their harvests to our community's needy. I received my first shipment on Wednesday of this week and I couldn't be happier or more excited.




I had big plans for dinner on Wednesday and they didn't necessarily include my 'harvest', but when I received my delivery I was amped! I quickly changed modes and made the fabulous winter vegetable soup recipe that they had provided with my shipment. I was able to use several items from my shipment the very first day. The soup was warm and delicious and best of all....South Beach friendly!


I didn't stop there. NO WAY! Last night's creation is a copy cat recipe of one of my favorite salads ever. It's a marinated black eyed pea salad, the original recipe comes from Dixie Cafe, but alas, I have not been able to locate it anywhere, so here is my take on it.



Marinated black eyed pea salad:
  • 3-4 cups of black eyed peas (canned or cooked)
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
  • 1 red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, rough chopped
  • 1 turnip, finely chopped
  • 2T garlic chives, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups of your favorite vinaigrette (I used homemade balsamic)
  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl and marinate several hours to overnight. 
  • Add mixture to your favorite blend of lettuce and enjoy!

This salad is delicious, tangy and crunchy. It's star ingredient, the black eyed peas, are perfect for a New Year's resolution. Yes, I used my harvest shipment for this dinner. The three harvest items were red leaf blend of lettuce, garlic chives and a turnip. Oh, and the best part.....it too was South Beach friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment