I had big plans for dinner on Wednesday and they didn't necessarily include my 'harvest', but when I received my delivery I was amped! I quickly changed modes and made the fabulous winter vegetable soup recipe that they had provided with my shipment. I was able to use several items from my shipment the very first day. The soup was warm and delicious and best of all....South Beach friendly!
I didn't stop there. NO WAY! Last night's creation is a copy cat recipe of one of my favorite salads ever. It's a marinated black eyed pea salad, the original recipe comes from Dixie Cafe, but alas, I have not been able to locate it anywhere, so here is my take on it.
Marinated black eyed pea salad:
- 3-4 cups of black eyed peas (canned or cooked)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 turnip, finely chopped
- 2T garlic chives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite vinaigrette (I used homemade balsamic)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and marinate several hours to overnight.
- Add mixture to your favorite blend of lettuce and enjoy!
This salad is delicious, tangy and crunchy. It's star ingredient, the black eyed peas, are perfect for a New Year's resolution. Yes, I used my harvest shipment for this dinner. The three harvest items were red leaf blend of lettuce, garlic chives and a turnip. Oh, and the best part.....it too was South Beach friendly!