Saturday, January 8, 2011

Getting more out of my Harvest2U shipment: Swiss Chard Quiche

One of my favorite things about being a part of Harvest2U is that I don't get to pick my produce. It's like getting a present every Wednesday. I decided when I joined this co-op that I could view it two ways. One being that some of the items were things I would have never purchased on my own and wonder what on earth I would do with them. Thankfully I chose the other option. The option that let me to challenge myself to create new recipes with new ingredients. I'm loving it and so is my family. I'm having more fun cooking than I've had in a long time!




On the menu last night was swiss chard. I will admit that I had never purchased swiss chard in my life before Wednesday. So, I went to work to try and figure out how I would use it. I found that it was similar to spinach and when I figured that out, it was off to the races.


Swiss Chard Quiche (Crustless version to adapt to our South Beach Diet living)

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2c sliced mushrooms
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb swiss chard, stems trimmed but not removed
1c shredded gruyere
1c shredded cheddar
1c egg substitute
1c skim milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees



In a skillet heat oil and saute onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic.

While these guys are cooking away, wisk the egg substitute and milk together in a large bowl then fold in the cheeses.



When onion becomes translucent, add swiss chard and saute until slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper.

Once swiss chard is wilted remove from heat. Fold the vegetable mixture into the egg mixture and pour into a pie pan that has been coated with non-stick spray.



Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes before serving.


The result is a beautiful pie shaped perfection! This meal has so many possibilities. It works for breakfast, brunch or dinner. Meat lovers can add bacon or prosciutto for a heartier version or if you prefer a crust you can easily add one. Serve it with soup or a salad at dinner and home fries or hash browns for breakfast (that is assuming you aren't on the South Beach Diet plan, too). You could even make it ahead so you have a hot breakfast every morning that just needs to be popped into the microwave for 45 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment