Monday, August 8, 2011

Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole - Sausage, Squash and Green Chiles.




Now that summer is winding down in our household, it's time to get back to the basics of our South Beach Diet eating plan. I have a couple of friends who are starting South Beach Diet today, and to be supportive to them I decided to go back to Phase 1 myself this week.

First things first! For us, the key to success starts with the first meal of the day. Unfortunately, my hard working husband leaves the house at o'dark thirty in the morning. That equals a time way too early for me to get up and cook him breakfast every morning. So instead, I make breakfast once at the beginning of the week and he can take a portion each morning and pop it in the microwave for a hot, homemade breakfast each day.

So, today's post is going to be quick and simple because that's what this dish is. It's a quick and simple way to have a delicious, hot breakfast each morning and only having to cook it once!

Sausage, Squash and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole

What you'll need:
1lb Low fat ground turkey breakfast sausage
1T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 yellow squash diced (zucchini works too)
1 can (4 oz) green chiles (I used hot instead of mild)
1 cup low fat jack or cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2C egg beaters
1/3c fat free half and half

First coat a large skillet with non stick spray and heat that bad boy up! Add the olive oil and the  chopped onion and saute until onion becomes translucent. Then add the ground turkey sausage and cook until done. At this time you can cadd the squash and the green chiles. Stir and cook an additional five or so minutes. Add half of the cheese, salt and pepper and stir. Once that is combined add eggs and half and half and reduce heat to low. Stir frequently until the egg just begins to set up. Now, you'll remove the pan from the heat and empty contents into a 9x11 dish that has been coated with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top.

Cook for 35-45 minutes at 325 or until eggs have set up and cheese is a little browned.

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I will definitely make this. Thank you, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel. I've been needing another recipe to help me use up the extra squash I've had from my CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both! I had my reheated portion for breakfast this morning and it was great.

    ReplyDelete