Monday, July 18, 2011

Tomato and Goat Cheese Frittata



If I haven't had a case of the Monday's today, then none ever existed! But, in spite of my challenges today, I managed to end the day with an extraordinary, quite healthy  (South Beach Diet friendly) dinner and a couple of glasses of good wine. I'm going to apologize in advance for the lack of photographs of my meal preparation. The boys were on a roll and I was playing referee at the same time that I was making dinner. It happens.

Tonight I made a simple, yet elegant, tomato and goat cheese frittata. The elegance, in my opinion, comes from incredible succulent and very much in season tomatoes....and goat cheese. It was juicy and creamy and just amazingly fresh. I'm not going to waste time with words, I'm just going to get straight to dinner.

Tomato and Goat Cheese Frittata

Olive oil
4 slices (aprox 3"x8") prosciutto chopped
1 sweet white (or Spanish) onion, diced.
2 large cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Mediterranean blend of spices (I used Global Garden Caliterranean Blend)
1 large heirloom tomato, thinly sliced
3-4 oz goat cheese crumbled.
1/3c half and half
2C egg beaters
2T Parmigiano Reggiano



Heat olive oil in pan and cook prosciutto until browned. While prosciutto is cooking, take 4 slices of the tomato and slice it in half creating a half circle. Dice the rest of the tomato slices. Remove prosciutto from  pan and set on a paper towel. Add chopped onion to pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper and mediterranean seasoning and saute. Once onions start to become translucent, add garlic and cook for about two minutes. Add diced tomato slices and cook another two minutes. Add half of the goat cheese and half of the prosciutto to the onion and tomato mixture and stir. Add half and half and stir again. Now add the egg beaters. Mix everything well for about 30 seconds and then transfer to a pie or tart pan that has been well coated with cooking spray. Then top frittata with the remaining 8 tomato half slices, remaining chopped prosciutto and remaining crumbled goat cheese. Then sprinkle with parmigiano reggiano.

Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350, until golden brown.




This dish paired very nicely with a glass of dry Rose. I'm typically not a Rose drinker, but it went very well and it was very refreshing for this hot summer night.

No comments:

Post a Comment