Monday, August 29, 2011

Tara's Mom's Tomato Pie - South Beach-ized



My friend Tara is a Southern Belle through and through. I love her for her kindness and generosity, but also for the feisty little side of her that peeks through sometimes too. She was kind enough to share her mom's beloved tomato pie recipe and let me attempt to South Beach-ize it. Now, I'm not at all going to lay claims that this is better than her mom's, no way. I am going to say that it is healthier and a great way to use those gorgeous heirloom tomatoes that are so abundant right now.

I haven't gotten Tara's mom's permission to post her original recipe on my blog. So, very sad for those of you who want to see it, sorry.

This dish can be used as a main dish an accompanied by a salad (that's what we did) or it's a great side dish as well.

South Beach Tomato Pie

Here's what you'll need:


3 or 4 large heirloom tomatoes
Vidalia onion (I didn't have a Vidalia, I used a lovely onion from my CSA)
3-4 slices cooked prosciutto crumbled
1/4 cup low fat mayonaise
1/4 cup non fat greek yogurt, strained
1/2 cup skim milk
2 eggs
1 tbs. cornstarch
1 cup shredded cheese
fresh basil
salt and pepper



First things first. You'll want to slice those tomatoes and your onion very thin. I used my mandolin and it worked wonderfully. Then spread tomatoes out on a cheese cloth or towel to drain them. 



Next you'll spray a pie pan with non stick spray. Place a layer of tomatoes down, then sprinkle it with salt, pepper and basil. Next, add a layer of onions. Continue to layer tomatoes, spices, herbs and onion until your plate is full.



Now comes the creamy goodness. 
In small mixing bowl, blend mayo, yogurt, milk, eggs, cornstarch, and cheese.  Spread mayo/cheese mixture over top of pie to the edges.  Crumble prosciutto pieces on pie.  Add one last layer of tomatoes.  Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 35- 35 minutes (or top is golden brown/knife comes out clean from center.)  Let stand a few minutes before serving.








This was a delicious summer time dish. I will admit that I wasn't please with the texture of the yogurt (which was totally my addition/substitution, not part of the original recipe) and I'll omit it next time. If you omit the yogurt, replace it with 1/4c of low fat mayo for a total of 1/2 cup.






Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment