Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mac N Cheese With a Twist



My family loves macaroni and cheese. I'd say my kids love it, but it would only be a half truth. The hubs and I love a good homemade mac n cheese, too! I grew up loving mac n cheese. I'd eat it out of the box, sure, but I loved it when my mom made it homemade (which wasn't very often). Later in life I'd learn that my little sister also coveted my mom's homemade macaroni and cheese. I hope that one day my boys have the same fond memories of some of the dishes that I make for them. There's not a lot that's more satisfying than hearing how much your family loves the meal you've created for them! So, in an attempt to make comfort food that they love in a more healthy manner I came up with the following recipe today. It's my regular macaroni and cheese but with added veggies.

Warning: This is not South Beach Friendly

Mac N Cheese With a Twist

What you'll need:
1 lb. pasta cooked
2T olive oil
2T corn starch
2 diced shallots (or one small onion, diced)
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 cups of milk
3 cups of grated cheese (I used a mixture of gruyere and cheddar)
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 bunch of greens, chopped (I used chard)
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
bread crumbs (I used Italian flavored panko)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cook your pasta according to directions on package. If you are on SB diet, you'll want to choose whole grain pasta. While the pasta is still warm (and after it's been drained), toss the chard and tomatoes right into the pasta pot.



In a saucepan, heat your olive oil. Add to the pan the shallots (or onion) and garlic and saute for three minutes. Add cornstarch and stir until well blended and there are no lumps. This will serve as a thickening agent for your cheese sauce. Add your milk, dry mustard, dijon mustard, salt and pepper and stir continuously. Continue to stir over medium heat just until the mild begins to thicken a little. At this time add all but about 1/3 cup of your cheeses. Turn the heat off and stir in a figure 8 pattern until all of the cheese has been incorporated.



Pour cheese sauce into pasta pot and stir.



Transfer to an oven proof baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.



Top with remaining cheese and about 2T of bread crumbs. Bake approximately 15 minutes and then put under the broiler on low a few minutes until the cheese has slightly browned. Keep an eye on it once it goes into the broiler. It can go from golden brown to cinder black rather quickly.



Serve and enjoy! You'll might get mom of the year for this one.





1 comment: