Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kohl-Slaw

What is kohlrabi? Yeah, I had the same question a couple of months ago. Well, to me, it's almost like a cross between a cabbage and a turnip. I know, that probably is not the most appealing way to plead its case to those of you sitting on the fence with this vegetable. They have been described as tasting like broccoli stems, and I could see where they get that, but I wouldn't describe them that way. Perhaps if I cooked them first they would taste more like that, but I've always (yes, all three times) eaten them raw. They are crunchy and refreshing, but don't have a very distinct flavor of their own. I use that to my advantage, the kids can't complain that they taste bad.

Kohlrabi comes in several varieties. Some are white (or greenish) and some are purple. The ones I received in my CSA box from Harvest2U happen to be purple. Their greens are edible, but I don't eat them. Their outer skins are tough and should be peeled prior to eating.

Kohlrabi is very low on the glycemic index, so you south beach dieters can dig in! It's also rich in vitamin C, potassium and fiber. This recipe is south beach diet friendly and gluten free (providing you use GF vinegar).



Since I have so many other beautiful root vegetables from my CSA, I decided to make a cole slaw from the kohlrabi. Or better named, KOHL-slaw. It's a great topping for pulled pork sandwiches or shredded beef tacos. Use the method of this recipe as a base and flavor it to pair with whatever you are cooking. 

Kohl-slaw 

For this super quick recipe you'll just need a handful of items.

1 medium kohlrabi, peeled
3-5 radishes (mine were pretty large so I used 3)
1 medium turnip, peeled (I used two small ones)
2-3 small carrots, peeled
1/2 C chopped cilantro
2T olive oil
2T red wine vinegar
juice of 1/2-1 lemon

OK, cut veggies into chunks small enough to fit into the opening of the top of your food processor. Take out your food processor and attach the grater blade. Yep, the hardest part is over! Now, just put the veggies (kohlrabi, radishes, turnip and carrots) in a few at a time and grate with food processor. When everything has been grated, transfer it to a bowl and add the cilantro. Mix well. Next add the oil, vinegar and lemon juice and mix again. That's it, you're done. Unless you like your slaw on the sweet side. If you do, add some splenda, one teaspoon at a time.





1 comment: